Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Imminent demise of the Velvet Lounge

Sad news from Chicago:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/chi-0505150276may15,1,1753257.story?coll=chi-news-hed

The article does a pretty good job of explaining the Velvet. There is no underestimating how valuable the jam sessions were as a place for players to find their voices in free jazz. There was absolute permission to play and just push it, and excitement for passionate playing. The first time I played there I came out feeling like every atom of my body was open to the world and connecting with it on a cellular level. It was a huge in my development as a musician, as was Fred Anderson. He's a great player, and he's a powerful example of what someone can do by doggedly crafting their own voice and sticking with it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is incredibly sad to me... I've always wanted to visit Chicago, but a BIG part of that wish was the desire to visit the Velvet Lounge... I've read so much about it, and heard about so many great things happening there, people playing there, and above all else, the amazing humility and grace that Fred Anderson seems to exhibit in running his place... the idea that you could go there and just get up and jam sounds so right to me... I really do hope the people of Chicago can kick in enough to make that move so that tradition can continue...

C