Thursday, December 15, 2005

Thanks to Claire Suddath...

I've been ridiculously busy with work the past week, but I've been comforting myself by listening to

www.pandora.com

It creates a stream of music starting with an artist or song you type in and then it pulls up tunes one at a time based on some characteristics of the music. The result is that it connects music you like with stuff you don't know about. I've heard stuff from Carla Kihlstedt from Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, a Tim Berne project with Mark Doucet on guitar, Fred Anderson's duets with Hamid Drake, Jenny Scheinman. It's really addictive. And I found out about it from a post Claire Suddath had on Pith in the Wind.

http://www.nashvillescene.com/blog/pitw/archives/00000708.shtml

The downside is that by sticking to cuts that have similarities the stream can be kind of monotonous. It's the opposite of the iPod shuffle phenomenon to which I am also very attached. Oh yeah, the other thing is realizing that this post makes me a participant in a viral marketing phenomenon. Makes you feel like a lab rat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I downloaded this based on this post, and I'm in love with it... it seems like the trick is to pack each channel you set up with a lot of different artists, so you get a wider variety and avoid that monotony you were talking about...

Charlie