Sunday, January 18, 2009

Review in the Scene of show at Rymer

Here's my review in this week's Scene of the current show at Rymer. Bunch of interesting stuff there recently, and I didn't even get a chance to write about Casey Pierce's paintings. Also, Rymer gallery director Herb Williams is in DC, having gotten a piece featuring Obama into the Manifest Hope show in DC, organized by SEIU, MoveOn.org and Obey Giant (that's the organization around Shepard Fairey, the guy who designed the Obama Hope poster). It's at 3333 M Street if you're going to be in town--not sure what that is, other than its in Georgetown.

Cruising around looking into the show, I ran across a notice that the Hope painting of Obama has been acquired by the National Portrait Gallery. That's good. It belongs there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading your blog. I've always liked Shepard Fairey's work however, I read a blog recently that pointed out that he uses copywrited images in his art that he didnt secure permission to use. Do you know if that's true?

Regards,
Pam
Miller Modern Art

David Maddox said...

I think that's right. As I recall about the Obama image, it's derived from a photo from one of the news services. I think I read an interview with him where he said he wasn't sure who the original photographer and he as waiting to see if he or she would come forward but hadn't heard anything. Fairey's RISD-trained, but had a rep as a street artist, altho it's a point of contention whether he really "deserves" that cred or is he too mainstream.